[rc5] the new mac client

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Wed Jul 9 19:07:14 EDT 1997

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Chris Welbon <ctwelbon at email.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client
>
>On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>> My 25MHz LC040 Mac gets 6408 key/sec with the v1 client, and 5,450 keys/sec
>
>[...]
>
>> Has the 68K code in the v2 client dropped the floating point instructions
>> entirely, do you think, replacing the FP instructions with less efficient
>> integer code than was used before?  And if not, how come it's so slow?
>
>Well, my guess is that since the LC040 doesn't have an FPU, the floating
>point operations (or lack thereof) in the v2 client shouldn't matter a
>whole lot.  Could be wrong, though.

Note that I was comparing my slight drop in performance (on my Mac with an
FPU-less 040) with a huge drop in performance on another Mac with a full
040.

>Like someone else suggested, try turning off the log file.

I'll try it - but it does mean I'll be running the client with no idea when
it'll want to connect next.  Rather than do that, I'd switch back to the v1
client or maybe give up with this lot all together.  I didn't mind poor
documentation with the v1 client, but the complete absence of documentation
and poorer performance from the v2 client is a bit much.

Rowland.