[rc5] On the priority of roll-out of V2 proxy and new stats

Friedemann Baitinger baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de
Wed Jul 9 22:25:08 EDT 1997

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

> OK, I'll add my 2 cents.  I think the stats are important.  Has anyone
> besides me noticed that the overall keyrate is now <1 Gkey/s?  It seems
> to me that the lack of stats has cut our keyrate from 1.X Gk/s before
> the v2 clients even came out to <1 Gk/s.  This is a reason for concern.
>  People "only [staying] with V1 client software" doesn't cause the
> keyrate to fall.  Loss of interest caused by lack of stats does.  We
> are seeing the symptoms.  Now, I know Duncan's been sick, and it looks
> like maybe they're close, but I think it's really important to have the
> stats to generate the interest, and I know I'm not alone.

having 'real' stats is what generates the fun part. no stats, no spare
cycles from my machines and besides, without real v2 personal proxies,
i can't avoid (and can't afford) the on demand dialing costs of the
german telekom. i believe the drop down of the key rate is a result of
the missing stats combined with the missing v2 personal proxies.

Friedemann Baitinger           baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de