[rc5] the new mac client

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Thu Jul 10 00:36:33 EDT 1997

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:42:35 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Chris Welbon <ctwelbon at email.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client
>
>On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

[snip]

>Oh, don't give up!

It seems a bit silly, but I'm very unhappy about not having much of a clue
what's going on.

>The client is designed to run fine with the defaults.

Except that I've checked one block with it, and there seems to be no entry
in the log file saying that it's notified the keyserver that it's done the
block.  Is it supposed to?

>You're right about needing the logfile to tell how far along you are in a
>group of blocks; but the graphing functions don't strike me as terribly
>useful.  Being able to quit and save state is a HUGE step from v1.

That was what I was looking forward to, but the way the v2 client's slower,
and I seem to have less idea what's going on, makes me wonder...

[snip explanation of settings]

Thanks a lot for that - I understand what's going on now.

>Anyway.  Don't give up.  Ask for fixes for to be included in the next
>version.

But who do I ask?  I've looked for email addresses, but I can't find one to
send suggestions or bug reports to; this is part of why I feel like giving
up - if the people running this show have so little concern for us folks
doing the work that they can't be bothered to give us either comprehensible
documentation or any way of contacting them, why should I bother?

>And I didn't find much change in performance with logging turned off.  So
>much for that idea.

Oh well :-(

Ta for the help
Rowland.