[rc5] clients and WinGate -- HOWTO

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Thu Jul 10 14:59:03 EDT 1997

> Someone mentioned recently that they had successfully configured
> some Win32-P5-v2.? clients on a LAN to report via a WinGate proxy. Could
> whomever that was give me some tips as to setting up the network options
> for the client and the WinGate service the client uses? It would be much
> appreciated. TIA

I run this configuration.  There are different ways to do this.

I have answered this question privately several times recently, so I
thought I'd send my stock reply to the general list.

IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE WINGATE SERVER (works with V1 & V2 clients)
Configure the server:
  Wingate Server version 2.0 and up...
	* Load gatekeeper, and "GO ONLINE"
	* From the MENU, select TOOLS->NEW->SERVICE->TCP MAPPING
	  SERVICE.
	* Change the service name and description to whatever suits
	  you.
	* Accept connections on port 2056
	* Check "ENABLE DEFAULT MAPPING TO", and fill the server name.
	  I have had trouble using rc5proxy.distributed.net (wingate seems
	  to resolve this only once), so use the actual name of a reliable
	  server with good response time for you. (available from
	  http://rc5.distributed.net/stats/proxyinfo.html).
	* Fill in the port number (usually 2056, but 23 works with most
	  servers, in the event you also have a firewall problem)
	* Click OK
	* From the menu, choose FILE->SAVE CHANGES, and exit gatekeeper
  Wingate Server Version 1.3.17 (and older)...
	* Double click on the wingate icon in the tray.
	* Click Add
	* Select "Mapped Link" and click Create
	* Under Enable connections to proxy on port, enter 2056.
	* Socket type should be TCP
	* Enable default remote host.
	* Fill in the address of one of the proxy servers. I have had
	  trouble using rc5proxy.distributed.net (wingate seems to resolve
	  this only once), so use the actual name of a reliable server
	  with good response time for you. (available from
	  http://rc5.distributed.net/stats/proxyinfo.html).
	* Fill in the port number (usually 2056, but 23 works with most
	  servers, in the event you also have a firewall problem)
	* Click Done.  Click Save.
	* Close the wingate window.
Configure the client (V2):
	* Configure the email to report and the buffer size to whatever
	  suits you.
	* Set the network communications mode to 5 (expert mode)
	* Set the preferred proxy to the ip address of your local
	  wingate server
	* Set the preferred port to the port you chose when you configured
	  the wingate server (2056 or 23 usually)
Configure the client (V1):
	* Use the -a and -p options to specify your wingate server
	  eg: rc5.exe -a 172.17.20.1 -p 2056 tcharron at interlog.com

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE WINGATE SERVER (V2 clients only)
Configure the client as follows:
	* Configure the email to report and buffer size to whatever suits
	  you.
	* Set the network communications mode to 5 (expert mode)
	* Set the preferred proxy to the ip address of your local
	  wingate server
	* Set the preferred port to the http port (almost always 80)
	* Select UUE/HTTP Mode, and set it to "HTTP Encoding"
	* Quit and save.
Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com
tcharron at ctfinance.com