[rc5] the new mac client [proper RC5 contacts]

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Fri Jul 11 03:44:06 EDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:28:42 -0400
>From: Marc Farnum Rendino <mvgfr at netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client [proper RC5 contacts]
>
>At 6:36 PM -0400 on 97/07/09, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>> It seems a bit silly, but I'm very unhappy about not having much of a clue
>> what's going on.
>
>The beauty of it is, you don't have to. :)

That's true if you're sure that the client's working properly, but I'm not
sure my client's actually reporting back the blocks it's checked.

And if you don't have a permanent net connection, you need to understand
what the progress information means so you know when the client will want
to connect next.

Why you can't set it to just quit on finishing, instead of insisting on
dialling out, I don't know.  Alternatively, it'd be nice if the Mac client
could flush and fill buffers on command, so I could report back completed
blocks when *I* wanted to. Unfortunately, the bloke who did the v2.000 Mac
client decided that Mac users didn't need this feature.

He tells me that *you* (Marc Rendino) are the new Mac developer - is this true?

[snip]

>RC5 Help Line 	Help!	All General questions/requests	rc5help at slacker.com
>Jeff Lawson	Bovine	Primary Coordinator/Programmer	jlawson at hmc.edu
>Adam Beberg	Duncan	distributed.net NOC/Programmer	beberg at acm.org
>							beberg at distributed.net
>David McNett	Nugget	FAQ Maintenance/Proxy operator	nugget at slacker.com
>Tristan Horn	Tris	MacOS Client Programmer		tristan at ethereal.net
>
>Unofficial Mac OS -related stuff:
>
>andrew meggs <insect at antennahead.com>		Mac OS V2 client programming
>Robert Au <myshkin at cyclone.stanford.edu>	Mac OS V1 client programming
>
>Please correct me if I've made any errors!

All useful information which is gratefully received.  I've sent Tristan
email before, but I've not had a reply.  I'd like to contact someone
involved with the current Mac work who will bother replying to me.  Any
ideas anyone?

Rowland.