[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Michael J. Rogan mrogan at fpelectronics.com
Fri Jul 11 18:24:00 EDT 1997

> Overclocking a CPU is a dangerous game to play.
>
> The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
> straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
> to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.
>
> This is most commonly found when compiling or running long-term processes
> like rc5.
>
> I encourage you to NOT overclock your machines and run RC5 on them
> EVEN IF IT GAINS MORE KEYS/SEC.  If that glitch just happens to make
> your machine miss the key because of an overclocked CPU that small
> percentage gain isn't helping at all.  And it is more likely that you
> will find that glitch than you will find the key.
>
> --Michael
> ----

I run non parity EDO ram and it is just as likely that a solar flare
or some other form of radiation will change a bit in RAM and be
undetectable the same way that an overclocked, underclocked, poor
motherboard, bad ram, bad cache will affect a system.

Unless you run a system that is three way error correcting,
that checks every computation with the other two machines and
majority rules, you will still be left with buggy software.

BTW I overclock all my personal machines and many of my work
machines ;-)

Michael

* Michael J. Rogan,  Network Administrator,   905-624-3020 *
* Mark IV Industries, F-P Electronics & I.V.H.S. Divisions *
* mrogan at fpelectronics.com                 mrogan at ivhs.com *