[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Fri Jul 11 19:34:58 EDT 1997

----------
> Overclocking a CPU is a dangerous game to play.
>
> The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
> straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
> to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.

By this argument, there are THOUSANDS of not-overclocked CPUs with
inadequate heatsinks that will experience the same problem.  I'm sick of
overclocking being deemed "bad" when there are thousands of other problems
in computers that are more common and problematic.  I'm sure that if
there's a definite problem in a computer, that problem will show up first
in other programs.  So sure, I'll agree that my computer (which is
overclocked, and has been for the past year,) is only 99.99999% reliable.
Is yours any better?

Silby