[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Jul 11 20:20:13 EDT 1997

I'll bet 99% of 486's have only semi-functional CPU fans.  Most people
have junky sleeve bearing fans on 486's that have ceased to work
properly and some do on their Pentiums as well.  My advice is to get a
high quality fan from PC Power and Cooling.  Nothing but the best, and
it will last for years.  They're only about twice the cost of junk
fans, and they have better heat sinks, ship with heat sink compound,
and ball bearing based fans that are actually made well.  My sister was
having lockup problems on her 486 (about 2 years old) and it turned out
that the power supply fan and the CPU fan were working sporatically at
best.

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:34:58 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

>----------
>> Overclocking a CPU is a dangerous game to play.
>>
>> The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
>> straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
>> to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.
>
>By this argument, there are THOUSANDS of not-overclocked CPUs with
>inadequate heatsinks that will experience the same problem.  I'm sick of
>overclocking being deemed "bad" when there are thousands of other problems
>in computers that are more common and problematic.  I'm sure that if
>there's a definite problem in a computer, that problem will show up first
>in other programs.  So sure, I'll agree that my computer (which is
>overclocked, and has been for the past year,) is only 99.99999% reliable.
>Is yours any better?
Colin L. Hildinger