[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Vincent Janelle random at avara.com
Fri Jul 11 23:46:59 EDT 1997

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> >Date: 11 Jul 1997 16:13:05 -0400
> >From: Michael Graff <explorer at flame.org>
> >Subject: [rc5] Dangers of overclocking
> >
> >Overclocking a CPU is a dangerous game to play.
> >
> >The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
> >straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
> >to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.
> >

> *If* the problem is due simply to overheating the CPU, you can get round it
> with a bigger heatsink and fan.
>
> I suspect it's more likely due to running the entire system beyond its
> design limits, thus increasing the chance of errors - not necessarily due
> to overheating.
>
> [snip]
> >
> >I encourage you to NOT overclock your machines and run RC5 on them
> >EVEN IF IT GAINS MORE KEYS/SEC.  If that glitch just happens to make
> >your machine miss the key because of an overclocked CPU that small
> >percentage gain isn't helping at all.  And it is more likely that you
> >will find that glitch than you will find the key.
> >

> Can't argue with that.

Sorry too keep the thread this long, but, I would like to intervene.

Most of the time, the processors are shiiped which actually run at a
higher speed than advertised.  A friend of mine actually has a P166 that
runs at 183 mhz,  and he iis thinking about reseting it up as a P-180.
Another thing about heat problems.  The new TX motherboards will put the
processor to sleep if teh heat gets too high(don't ask me how this is
done, I just found out about it today), so, the heat factor is less of a
problem.  And I agree, Sticking a high quality heat sink is necessary to
keep a processor running, overclocked or not.. Do not buy "486 Heat
Sinks", even if you are told by the seeming intelligent computer rep at
the local retail chain that it will ru n fine.  If there was any a problem
with their machines, they just ship it backk to the manufacturer=, and pop
your equipment into a computer of the same make.

I hope this helps any of the un-enlightened out there.  And BTW,
overclocking is a double edge sword.  It has it's good points, and it's
bad points.  I'm not going to tell you my stand on it, but the AMD k6 200
will overclock to 250 mhz quite nicely;) (No, I don't own one, my boss did
some overclocking at work.)