[rc5] the new mac client [proper RC5 contacts]

dpush at mindspring.com dpush at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 12 02:34:14 EDT 1997

>In my limited experience with version v2 on my PowerMac 7500 running
>OT/PPP, the client is too dumb to properly request/initiate a net
>connection. I've left my Mac on all night with Bovine RC5 2.000 running and
>PPP loaded and running and I check back in the morning and I have scores of
>lines in the Logfile saying
>
>" [07/11/97 22:45:18 GMT] Network::Open Error - sleeping for 30 seconds"
>
>Any decent Mac application would have initiated a connection, calling on
>PPP to dial out and transfer the data. Eudora can do it, Newswatcher can do
>it, Netscape can do it.... etc, etc. Why not Bovine RC5?!? (My ISP will not
>allow 24 hour a day modem connections!)
>
>I'd be happy to leave my Mac on 24 hours a day checking its 290 kkeys/sec
>but the darn program just won't cooperate with a dial-up connection.
>
>Please tell me if I'm missing something in my set-up. If so, I apologize
>for this rant. If not, whoever is doing the programming for the Mac, please
>make things a bit easier for us dial-up users!

I have a 7200 OT/PPP and have no problems. As soon as I selected "connect
automatically when using TCP/IP applications" in PPP's options/connections
page it worked. I use PPPop 1.5.4 to close the connection after two minutes
of session time.  PPPop can be used to launch apps as well. If you can't
find it and want it, let me know.

DPush