[rc5] Problem running v2.002 client as a NT service

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Sat Jul 12 15:20:30 EDT 1997

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Guan Sin Ong wrote:

> When I installed the 2.002 client as a NT service using rc5srv, the
> service was created successfully. I turned it into "automatic startup",
> and it did get started on boot up. But the problem is, whenever a user
> session is logged out, the client would stop, saying in the log that
> "shutdown message received... Shutting service". Is this normal? FYI, we
> run Novell Intranetware Client for NT here. If the machine is rebooted,
> the service would start up fine again (and get killed upon a session
> logout...). The ideal is of course for the service to ignore any signal
> from a user session...

I guess that when you install the Service under the System Account (you need
Administrator privileges), everything works fine, because System Services
even run when no one is logged in. (like Peer Web Services, etc). We run
almost everything under the System Account, but then again, it's my own
computer, and not everyone has Administrator privileges.

> There are rc5v2p5h and rc5v2p5. Which one should I use for a NT service?
rc5v2p5 plain I guess. The Service-program takes care of "hidden"...

To address the other follow-up talking about win32-apps, rc5v2 isn't a
win32app, it's just a 32-bits app. Am I right? There's nothing graphical at
all in rc5v2...

Ivo

| IVO JANSSEN       | ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl        | |     |   |
| Ricardishof 1/428 | janssen at cardit.et.tudelft.nl   | |   |-+   |
| 2614 JE Delft     | http://www.et.tudelft.nl/~ivo/ | +->-|    (|)
| the Netherlands   | Dept of Electrical Engineering |     |-+   |
| +31-15-2855973    | Delft University of Technology |       |   |