[rc5] the new mac client [proper RC5 contacts]

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 12 23:52:11 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:59:26 -0500
>From: James Macak <macak at mixcom.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client [proper RC5 contacts]
>
>(Stuff deleted)
>>
>>Why you can't set it to just quit on finishing, instead of insisting on
>>dialling out, I don't know.  Alternatively, it'd be nice if the Mac client
>>could flush and fill buffers on command, so I could report back completed
>>blocks when *I* wanted to. Unfortunately, the bloke who did the v2.000 Mac
>>client decided that Mac users didn't need this feature.
>>

>The Mac client really needs some help, IMHO, at least for dial-up Internet
>connections.
>
>In my limited experience with version v2 on my PowerMac 7500 running
>OT/PPP, the client is too dumb to properly request/initiate a net
>connection. I've left my Mac on all night with Bovine RC5 2.000 running and
>PPP loaded and running and I check back in the morning and I have scores of
>lines in the Logfile saying
>
>" [07/11/97 22:45:18 GMT] Network::Open Error - sleeping for 30 seconds"
[snip]

I can't *stop* the Mac v2 client attempting to dial out on my Performa 475
running 7.6.1 and FreePPP 2.5v3 - why not switch PPPs?

Just a wild stab in the dark - try TCP/IP cdev, Options, and check `load
only when needed'.

Marc Farnum Rendino <mvgfr at netcom.com> has apparently just taken over the
Mac client - I expect he's the chap to talk to.  But do be nice to him ;-)

Rowland.