[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 12 23:50:21 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:46:59 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Vincent Janelle <random at avara.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Dangers of overclocking
>
>On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

[snip]

>Most of the time, the processors are shiiped which actually run at a
>higher speed than advertised.

The fact that virtually all microprocessors are quite happy at higher
speeds is irrelevant - there's a whole computer out there, and overclocking
affects *all* of it.  What about the extra power line glitches?  Is there
enough decoupling for the higher speeds?  What about the extra power
consumption - are the circuit board tracks dropping to much voltage?  And
that's just for starters - there's an awful lot of components and
connections that have nothing to do with the microprocessor, and you're
speeding all of it up to a speed beyond its design criteria.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

>A friend of mine actually has a P166 that
>runs at 183 mhz,  and he iis thinking about reseting it up as a P-180.
>Another thing about heat problems.  The new TX motherboards will put the
>processor to sleep if teh heat gets too high(don't ask me how this is
>done, I just found out about it today), so, the heat factor is less of a
>problem.  And I agree, Sticking a high quality heat sink is necessary to
>keep a processor running, overclocked or not..

Rhubarb - my 68LC040 Mac doesn't need any heatsinks.  You only need
heatsinks if you're using high power consumption processors of the sort
Intel and DEC produce - PPC 603e processors don't need heatsinks at 300MHz.

However, if you need a heatsink, it's vital to use heatsink compound to
ensure good thermal contact between the heatsink and the IC - a thin layer
of gas is an amlost perfect insulator, so not using heatsink compound can
make overheating worse.

Rowland.