[rc5] RC5 stats and progress - [ADMIN]

Adam L. Beberg beberg at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Sun Jul 13 08:17:28 EDT 1997

Greetings...

Stats are in fact underway, I ran into a few snags last night, mainly having
to remove a bunch of spammed entries from the DB (the keyserver is now
ignoring those hosts) and the unbelieveable joy of a fire alarm.

- We're _at_least_ 5.48% though the keyspace!
  This is also the rate at which random blocks (and our competitors) are
  doing duplicated work.

- 73% of hosts are now using v2+ clients. Please upgrade as soon as possible
  so your OS and CPU get credit...

- our time to complete the search of the entire keyspace is 1.7 years, with
  about 1/6 of a percent per day. if we get lucky like DESCHALL did, we'll
  be done in notime :)

- v2 Personal proxies are in in the works, as is a much faster sparc
  client...

Keep recruiting! If everyone involved recruits just one more person each
day, and they start just one host each day, we'll have 1 million hosts
(and people) in just 9 days...
Don't underestimate the power of that one extra host.

- Adam L. Beberg
  beberg at distributed.net
  distributed.net coordinator
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/