[rc5] Speed freeks with Cyrix, AMD, PPro or RISC machines ?

Remi Guyomarch rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr
Mon Jul 14 01:15:34 EDT 1997

Antonio Perez wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Remi Guyomarch wrote:
>
> > Since I can't test the Cyrix and AMD version on real Cyrix and AMD
> > processor, I can't tell for sure if these clients are faster or not. But
> > I hope a *significant* speedup on these processor, compared to numbers
> > posted on the RC5 client speed page.
>
>   I have an AMD K5-P75 133Mhz. overclocked to 160Mhz.
>
>   With V2.000:       ~145.000 K/s
>   client-486-2:      ~153.863 K/s
>   client-k5-2:       ~129.622 K/s
>
>   486 version goes faster than K5... :-?
[...]

Well, perhaps because K5-P75 is a 486 class processor. It's not the same
as the fifth generation (pentium class) K5-PRxxx processors.

On v2.002, an K5-PR200, clocked at 133 Mhz, should do ~380 kkeys/s.
The same ship, overclocked to 160 Mhz (if it is possible) would crack
~460 kkeys/s...

--
Rémi