[rc5] yet another (sort of) porting request...

Ralf Helbing helbing at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Jul 15 03:07:34 EDT 1997

> are there any plans to recompile the v2.x clients for SGI with mips3
> or mips4 optimization?

My impression with the new compilers is that they don't optimize as
good as the old ones.  It depends a lot on the code if they can
improve the speed.

> with the v1 client there was a small, but noticable, improvement in
> performance when using the best code for the processor. and as they
> say, every cycle counts.

If you need fast SGI clients, check out the optimized V1 clients from
Rémi Guyomarch <rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr>.  On R10K (300kkeys/195MHz) and
Ultrasparc they are ~35% faster.

I played a little with the compiler options when compiling them for
our machines and found noticable improvements only for the newest line
of processors.  Ironically, using the compatibility options for R4k
code (thus invoking the old 32 bit compiler) produced the best code
albeit with only few % difference.  Looking at the assembly code, most
of the time is spent shifting bits to make up for the lack of a rotate
instruction.

Ralf
--
Doctor, I don't feel too good, I think this biohazard or whatever
stuff is having an effect on me.			     Frank, MST 3000

Ralf Helbing,    University of Magdeburg,     Department of Computer Science
39106 Magdeburg, UniPlatz 2                         Phone: +49 0391 67-12189