[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

jpearl at qsi.com jpearl at qsi.com
Mon Jul 14 21:56:09 EDT 1997

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 02:14:25 +0100
From: Rebecca and Rowland <rebecca at astrid.u-net.com>
Subject: [rc5] Dangers of overclocking

>>The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
>>straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
>>to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.
>>
>*If* the problem is due simply to overheating the CPU, you can get round
it
>with a bigger heatsink and fan.
>I suspect it's more likely due to running the entire system beyond its
>design limits, thus increasing the chance of errors - not necessarily due
>to overheating.

The whole system huh? Last I checked most any PC MB being built was made to
do at least 66mhz on the BUSS and I don't believe Intel's 200mhz machines
receive a higher clock than that - yet. In my case the board was designed
to go as high as 83mhz, a shame my EDO memory can't go that high (grin). My
P150 has been running at 187mhz for months now just fine and crunches keys
with the rest.

It's true an overheated processor can cause problems this is why I run a
large heatsink and good fan along with a few fans in the case (stock). It
got up to nearly 90 in the house today and when I got home all of my
machines were running just fine. The AMD 486 140mhz runs just fine at
166mhz BTW, all 3 of mine were alive and well with far worse cooling than
my primary machine.

You must remember - we're far past the days of swapping crystals on our
8088's for a few more MHZ. I respectfully suggest you read Tom's Hardware
site at Sysdoc.pair.com, you'll learn something - I did....

jvp at qsi.com