[rc5] rc5v2 full of bugs and misfeatures (long)

Andrew Kroeger andrew at cpre1.ee.iastate.edu
Tue Jul 15 02:46:25 EDT 1997

[ some babble deleted ]

:wrong/does not work (remember I use build 2). When the client first cannot
                                     ^^^^^^^^

[ trashing even more useless verbiage ]

:Oh, by the way, this is the ini file I use at the office. Nothing fancy
:as you may see:
:
:[parameters]
:id=fgouget at club-internet.fr
:threshold=50
:count=0
:hours=0
:timeslice=65536
:firemode=1
:proxy=127.0.0.1
       ^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm... Isn't it amazing that the people who seem to whine the most
are the ones that don't follow the directions in the first place!!

I won't even waste the bandwidth or my keystrokes trying to analyze
all the points brought up in his post.  Most of it was bitching about
wanted features instead of a detailed description of the problems he
encountered so we could help him.

I will say that this guy smacks big-time of a tech support person's
worst nightmare.  It appears he's either using "the force" to guide
his actions or he has no problems operating in this world without any
sort of clue.

BTW... for any that missed it, why would he want to declare his proxy
as 127.0.0.1 (localhost) in his .ini file when he's running v2
clients??  I don't think he's even close enough to smart to be allowed
to test a pre-release version of the v2 personal proxies.  Anyone else
agree??

Just for the record, I have the client running on 39 different
machines -- 10 HP workstations, 18 Power Macs, 10 PC's running Win95,
and my personal machine running Linux.  I have not had _ANY_ problems
(except network problems -- due to MCI's Willow Springs station taking
its daily naps) whatsoever since they came out with different versions
for different versions of HP-UX (which is HP's problem anyway).  I
think the v2 clients are great.

There are way too many people here bitching about wanting different
features or fixing some little bug somewhere.  I'd like to see how
much time they'd have to say anything if they were trying to rewrite
the personal proxies, rebuild the stats, work on v3 of the clients,
and reply to all the e-mail messages that we don't even see here on
the rc5 list.  I think everybody "behind the scenes" is doing a great
job with the time they have available.  I wouldn't even think of
complaining about anything unless I was offering my time to help fix
it.  It's their decision whether to accept my offer of help or not,
but at least I'm not sitting around expecting them to do everything.

Just my few cents dropped into the fountain...

Andrew Kroeger

DSDL System Administrator
131M Coover Hall
Iowa State University