[rc5] K5 vs Pentium speed

corsair corsair at millcomm.com
Tue Jul 15 10:50:24 EDT 1997

Well,

	My PPro 200 servers do ~470 Kkeys/sec.  As for the Win32 bit, PPros DON'T
switch mode when they have 32bit clean code, like NT, but do spend time
switching between 16 and 32 bit modes on 95, because of all the legacy code
in it.  If you are using the 32 bit RC5V2 client, it is 32 bit code, but if
you are doing anything else with your PPro win95 box that is 16 bit (Like
using the task bar) you could take a performance hit.

At 10:32 AM 7/15/97 -0400, Milton Forte II wrote:
>In <3.0.32.19970714225422.00a14500 at diablo.net>, on 07/15/97
>   at 01:54 AM, Bill Plein <bill at diablo.net> said:
>

>>Wrong. A PPro running Win32 code doesn't switch modes. A Pentium Pro does
>>between 400-500 keys/sec.
>
>I think a PPro even on WIN95 does a few more than 500 keys/sec :>.
>
>--
>Milton                                        mwf at ibm.net
>
>               OS/2 Warp V4 - Where I Want To Be Today!
>        DES Cracked!!  On to RC5!!  http://rc5.distributed.net/
in the body.

Larry Anderson
Rochester, MN 55902