[rc5] Re: New connection option

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Tue Jul 15 13:54:10 EDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Steve Patches wrote:

>>It's looks like we need a new network connection option.  We need a
>>option of NO CONNECTION, so that the client will not try to connect on a
>>machine with no network connection.

> Set your number of blocks to complete in run to 49, and your number of
> blocks to buffer to 50.  This will always leave 1 block unused, but will
> ensure that the client will not attempt to dial out.

A workaround, yes. Workarounds are good, improvements to the client are
better. :)  What if you have a computer that can munch a keyblock every 20
minutes, and you have to leave it unattanded for three days?  Having it
stop crunching after 49 blocks is no solution at all, because the goal is
to make sure those cycles don't go to waste.  It can be done with
elaborate scripting, more readily in unix than elsewhere, but the fact is
it's *easier* to fix it in the source code. :)  I agree that a no-network
option (coupled with working random block generation or a larger max
buffer size) would be desirable.

                                  -Steve Langasek
-doink-