[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Tue Jul 15 23:49:00 EDT 1997

>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:56:09 -0400
>From: jpearl at qsi.com
>Subject: [rc5] Dangers of overclocking

>Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 02:14:25 +0100
>From: Rebecca and Rowland <rebecca at astrid.u-net.com>
>Subject: [rc5] Dangers of overclocking
>
>>>The problem is that the CPU runs "just fine" for weeks or even months
>>>straight, but someday the room temperature will rise up just enough
>>>to make it fetch a bad byte from memory.
>>>
>>*If* the problem is due simply to overheating the CPU, you can get round
>it
>>with a bigger heatsink and fan.
>>I suspect it's more likely due to running the entire system beyond its
>>design limits, thus increasing the chance of errors - not necessarily due
>>to overheating.
>
>The whole system huh? Last I checked most any PC MB being built was made to
>do at least 66mhz on the BUSS and I don't believe Intel's 200mhz machines
>receive a higher clock than that - yet. In my case the board was designed
>to go as high as 83mhz, a shame my EDO memory can't go that high (grin). My
>P150 has been running at 187mhz for months now just fine and crunches keys
>with the rest.

As I understand it, you increase the bus speed.  If you have, say, a 50MHz
bus and a 150MHz clock-tripled processor, you might increase the processor
speed to 200MHz by increasing the bus speed to 67MHz.

As I said, the whole system (meaning: everything that takes its timing from
the system bus clock).

Rowland.