[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Michael J. Rogan mrogan at fpelectronics.com
Tue Jul 15 19:56:23 EDT 1997

-snip-

> As I understand it, you increase the bus speed.  If you have, say, a 50MHz
> bus and a 150MHz clock-tripled processor, you might increase the processor
> speed to 200MHz by increasing the bus speed to 67MHz.
>
> As I said, the whole system (meaning: everything that takes its timing from
> the system bus clock).

Or as I have done on many systems leave the bus clock alone and
change the multiplier of the CPU, as in the example above X4, bus
stays the same. P166 = 66 (bus) X 2.5 (multiplier) or overclocked
P200 = 66 (bus) X 3 (mutiplier).

Michael

> Rowland.

* Michael J. Rogan,  Network Administrator,   905-624-3020 *
* Mark IV Industries, F-P Electronics & I.V.H.S. Divisions *
* mrogan at fpelectronics.com                 mrogan at ivhs.com *