[rc5] cyberian/bovine

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Tue Jul 15 19:20:02 EDT 1997

I've seen several references lately that have implied that the cyberian.org
effort is running competitively with the bovine/distributed.net effort and
I thought I'd take this opportunity to set the record straight, so to speak.

The bovine effort is currently averaging about 1,600mkeys/sec, which
represents 0.20% of the entire keyspace each day (or 1% every five days),
with over 6% currently checked.  This is roughly five times the rate that
the cyberian.org effort is achieving and means that the Bovine effort will
be able to complete 100% of the keyspace in a little over a year with no
additional growth.

To put it another way, Every 36 hours, the Bovine effort checks more keys
than the entire cyberian.org effort has searched since it started.

It is important to keep in mind that the cyberian clients use a much
smaller block size, so it is useless to compare block completion times.
One can only rely on the key rates they observe as the client submits
keyspace to the server.

We have no problem with the existance of a competing effort.  On the whole,
it may even be beneficial as the healthy rivalry will be a good incentive
to continual improvements to the client code and makes recruitment more
exciting.   We wish the cyberian effort the best of luck.  They've got
about a 1 in 5 chance of snatching the key out from under us before we here
at distributed.net  wrap this thing up.  :)

-David McNett
 nugget at slacker.com