[rc5] Statistics Problem

Daniel Marcotte sysop at delta-net.com
Tue Jul 15 19:15:25 EDT 1997

Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:06:38 -0500 (CDT)
> >From: Stephen Langasek <vorlon at dodds.net>
> >Subject: Re: [rc5] Statistics Problem
> >
> >On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
> >
> >> I found that my Performa 475 running the v2 client on a dial-up link wasn't
> >> reporting its blocks back.  I've emailled this list and the Mac developer
> >> about the problem, but I've not had a response on what the problem is or
> >> how to fix it.
> >>
> >> I've stopped running the client - clearly, there's no point until this
> >> problem is fixed.

------- Snip ------

  Hi, I would like to help you with your problem. I have a few Macs running
the same client and they all are reporting blocks.
  How many blocks are you buffering ?  How fast is your machine processing blocks?
I think the 475 has a 25 Mhz 040 ( correct me If I am wrong ) , your machine
is probably getting around 8 - 15 Kkeys/sec ( again correct me if I am wrong)
 My point is, If your buffering 50 blocks and it takes 4 hours to complete one block,
Then your going to have to wait eight days before your machine has blocks to
report finished.
 Send a small sample of your log file. It should tell you whats going
on. i.e
[07/15/97 22:59:09 GMT] Sent 5 block(s) to server
[07/15/97 22:59:19 GMT] The proxy says: "Welcome to Slacker Central!
(rc5.slacker.com)
[07/15/97 22:59:32 GMT] Retrieved 5 block(s) from server

If this is what your getting then your ok.
if your getting " Network open error-sleeping for 15 seconds " then your
machine is trying to report back but it can't.

What kind of dialup account do you have? Do you have a static IP or dynamic?
If its dynamic then you might have a hard time finding your stats.

Hope this helps

Ps: your rc5v2 Mac does have an rc5v2.ini its just called RC% preferences

Daniel