[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #44

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Wed Jul 16 03:41:59 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:51:21 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Stephen Langasek <vorlon at dodds.net>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #44
>
>On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Bryan Golder wrote:

[snip]

>> That said, everyone who is complaining about client problems here is only
>> doing so because they want things to work right so this team will win
>> (including me!).
>
>No.  Everyone who is complaining here is doing so because they have all
>the manners and consideration of a two-year-old.  I want the clients to
>work, too, but you don't see me kvetching about it.  Why?  Common courtesy
>for one.

Point: without feedback, the developers can't know about any problems the
clients have.

>And because I understand that people coming onto this list and
>doing a wide-mouthed impression of Sanford Wallace in a technology fair
>do nothing to further this effort.

But how about careful, methodical end users taking the time to fully
investigate an apparent problem to the best of their ability, and sending a
detailled and carefully-considered description of the problem to the
developer - who then doesn't even bother to reply with a `thanks for the
bug report'?

Who has the manners of a two year old?

[snip]
>entering the corporate world.  So my empathy for those whose social graces
>were inspired by something akin to a warthog... is nonexistent.  Bug
>reports?  Fine.  Suggestions for improvements?  Ideas are always welcome.
>Bitching about how abysmally the client works with your setup?  Save it
>for alt.dev.null.  They're interested in reading it there.  I'm not.

But...  What about people who find that the client *doesn't* work on their
setup, and have 1) No control over the client 2) No documentation to help
them 3) No feedback from the developers - aside from the mis-information
that `The Mac client works fine out of the box - it works fine!' which is a
bit rich given that I have an email from the bloke who developed the v2 Mac
client, in which he states that he didn't test it on a 68K Mac - what other
tests did he miss?  It's clear that the Mac client *doesn't* work fine out
of the box - so what are we to do?  It appears to do something other than
what I thought it should be doing, but what do I know?  The documentation
doesn't explain what it does, nor how to tell if it's doing it.

Rowland.