[rc5] Mac Probs Why?

Barry Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Wed Jul 16 07:45:23 EDT 1997

Brian H. Napier <bnapier at dicksonstreet.com> wrote:

>If you buffer 1 block your rc5 client will attempt to send that result to
>the proxy server and download a new block to test.  The buff-in buff-out
>files only contain a short string of information (guessing)
>
>----1[07/15/97 22:12:24 GMT] Processing block 00C590DC:A0000000 from
>0.00%           (buff-in)
>----1[07/15/97 22:25:36 GMT] Completed block 00C590DC:A0000000
>                            (buff-out)

The buff-in and buff-out files aren't readable text on the Mac v2 client.
I also tried to copy the buffer files over to my Connectix Virtual PC
partition and do a -update with the Win32 version of the client (FWIW,
the P6 version runs faster on VPC, at least on my 180MHz 603ev with 256K
of L2 cache - 31,000 keys/s vs. 29,000 (approx)). The Win32 client blew
up in my face with an illegal instruction. However, that could have been
because of the computer's logic board problems (which I didn't know about
at the time).

My replacement is coming on Friday, and after it comes in, I reformat the
hard drive, etc., I'll try again (unless someone can tell me for sure
that the buffer files are compatible or incompatible).

-Barry Nathan - Email: <barryn at pobox.com> PGP public key: finger
<barryn at exo.com> Web page: <http://exo.com/~barryn> I helped smash DES
into bits <http://www.frii.com/%7Ercv/deschall.htm> CRACK RC5 NOW!
<http://rc5.distributed.net> Web page update coming by Sept. 1st