[rc5] Mac client reporting

Nate Begeman bacchus at netrus.net
Wed Jul 16 13:07:39 EDT 1997

>As Jason Novinger just said in a follow up (and as I have written before):
>> What I've noticed with my client is that sometimes it fails to report
>> a set of blocks, it retrieves more and reports them later. Or that's
>> what appears to be happening.
>
>All of my machines just keep plugging.  I'm never "the lucky one," so it
>can't just be me and Jason whose clients are working.

Now I am not a member of the mac client team, and my emails to the guy in
charge have gone unanswered (he could actually have a life other than the
mac client) but I've got a guess about what is happening here.

1) the client grabs 20 blocks
2) the client does its thing
3) if no network errors, it sends blocks back -
4) if there is a network error, it grabs more to work on until it can send.
5) since the buff-out file is not deleted until after it sends, your work
on previous blocks will not be lost until the data is in Bovine's hands
(hooves?).

This is just my opinion and could very likely be wrong.

Nate Begeman
bacchus at netrus.net