[rc5] Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second. :-((

Francois Gouget fgouget at club-internet.fr
Wed Jul 16 21:56:30 EDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Harald Koenig wrote:

> On Jul 15, Harald Koenig wrote:
>
> > on both dual-PPro boxes with Linux-2.0.30-SMP I still get one client
> > pretty soon only writing
> >
> > 	Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second.
> > 	Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second.
> > 	Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second.
> >
> > into it's logfile until the disk is full :-((

	I had the same/similar problem and I have found the solution. On
my hosts the client crunches the first block but fails to write it in the
buff-out.rc5 file. The reason for this failure was that the file was 0
bytes in length which probably prevented the client from locking some
portion of it. Your case may be similar, 0 bytes length or a partially
truncated file, so best/simplest solution may be to delete the
buff-out.rc5 file altogether.

	Why did I have a 0 bytes buff-out.rc5 ? Well, the buff-out.rc5
file is on a Unix filesystem exported via Samba. Some buffers are shared
between Unix hosts and PCs and I have access right problems plus user id
problems (not all the Unix hosts have NIS). If the PC creates the file it
might not belong to me which is not very practical when I have to
manipulate it after (remember I have a sneaker-net, i.e. a floppy disk
Internet connection). So what I did was to create empty buff-out.rc5 files
and do a chmod 666 on them first so that the clients would not have to
create the files. Unfortunately rc5v2 does not handle this condition very
well.

[...]
> 	Buffer is locked 4 - waiting 1 second.
> 	Buffer is locked 4 - waiting 1 second.
[...]

	I did not have this one, but maybe it's the same problem
only it happens when flushing the blocks.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at club-internet.fr                http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/