[rc5] Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second. :-((

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Wed Jul 16 19:05:44 EDT 1997

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Francois Gouget wrote:

> 	Why did I have a 0 bytes buff-out.rc5 ? Well, the buff-out.rc5
> file is on a Unix filesystem exported via Samba. Some buffers are shared
> between Unix hosts and PCs and I have access right problems plus user id
> problems (not all the Unix hosts have NIS). If the PC creates the file it
> might not belong to me which is not very practical when I have to
> manipulate it after (remember I have a sneaker-net, i.e. a floppy disk
> Internet connection). So what I did was to create empty buff-out.rc5 files
> and do a chmod 666 on them first so that the clients would not have to
> create the files. Unfortunately rc5v2 does not handle this condition very
> well.

What version of samba is being used, and what kind of control do you
have over the unix machines on the network?  With a current version of
samba and sufficient access privileges, it's not difficult to configure to
guarantee that proper permissions and ownership are maintained upon file
creation.

But I suppose, if file ownership is even an issue, it's unlikely you have
the system access necessary to reconfigure samba :(

                              -Steve Langasek
-doink-