[rc5] Re: Monitoring many.

Francois Gouget fgouget at club-internet.fr
Thu Jul 17 04:45:31 EDT 1997

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Marc Sissom wrote:

> At 03:58 PM 7/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >ObRC5: Does anyone know of a good way to monitor the status of the
> >clients one has running? I have a dozen machines running the RC5
> >client and want to know if the process dies so that I can restart it.
> >

> Easy, run Remi's optimized v1 clients with a personal proxy. Look
> at the pp display as all of the clients check in, or don't if
> they're broke.
[...]

	Alternatively if you can manage to get all the log files
accessible from a Unix host (sharing the directory via Samba for
instance), you can use a script which analyses the log files and prints
when each client last reported a block. Like with the personal proxy, if
too much time has passed then the client must have crashed. That's the way
I proceed since I cannot have a personal proxy at work.

	I have just put the log analysis scripts that I use, online. They
only use awk so they should work on most Unices. Note that I don't mean
they're adapted to your case. They are at this address:
	http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/distrib/rc5/index_uk.shtml

	As I understand it, Evan Vetere <vetere at avara.com> also has a
script doing very much the same thing (in perl and maybe more
sophisticated):
	ftp://ftp.avara.com/usr/vetere/rc5stat.pl

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at club-internet.fr                http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/