[rc5] Mac Probs Why?

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Thu Jul 17 06:00:09 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 97 20:25:49 -0400
>From: "Brian H. Napier" <bnapier at dicksonstreet.com>
>Subject: [rc5] Mac Probs Why?
>
>I don't see why so many people are reporting problems with their client.
>Everything seems very straight forward to me.

It *seems* straightforward, but it clearly doesn't work properly on all
Macs.  When it fails to work properly, there's virtually nothing you can do
about it.  The v2 client hasn't been tested on 68K Macs, so the fact that
there's lots of reported problems isn't very surprising.

>The client runs fine in default mode.

Wrong!  The v2 client running on my Mac has failed to report back any
blocks, and appears to hang after checking the full input buffer.

The client runs fine in default mode, provided everything works fine.  When
it doesn't work fine, it runs badly in default mode.  The absence of any
useful documentation, control, or feedback from the developers means that
it's very, very difficult to solver any problems.

> The only thing you have to enter is
>your email adress and how may blocks you want buffered. Buffering 1 block
>and buffering 20 blocks means very little.
>
>If you buffer 1 block your rc5 client will attempt to send that result to
>the proxy server and download a new block to test.

On my Mac, the client failed to report back, but did manage to download new
blocks.  When these had been checked, it again failed to report back.

[snip]

>As far as system performance is concerned you WILL get more keys per
>second with your PPP dial-up connection OFF.  OT or FreePPP are using
>your CPU when they are active.

Some of us have to pay for telephone use, you know.

[snip]

Rowland.