[rc5] Hidden win32 client startupdir/configmenu

Michael J. Rogan mrogan at fpelectronics.com
Thu Jul 17 12:06:58 EDT 1997

> Hello again,
>
> Still 2 problems with the hidden client:
>
> * registrykey: BovWin32: c:\rc5\rc5v2p5h.exe
>   So the client reads it's configfile from c:\rc5\rc5v2p5h.ini,
>   but the buff* files are still in the weirdest places, like
>   c:\, d:\, c:\windows, c:\rc5 (sometimes). I have about 4
>   buff-in.rc5 files right now...
>   cd-ing to a dir before rc5v2p5h -install doens't work. really.
>   the registrykey is the same in all cases....
>
> * When I first install the hidden client on a system, I do
>   unzip rc5v2b2h.zip
>   rc5v2p5h -config -> but then I get a little dos-box, which
>   		      immediately disappears.
>   Even when I have "Close on exit" turned on by default, I first
>   should get a config-menu, right?
>   So, a default .ini is created, edit it by hand, then do
>   rc5v2p5h -install and it will run anyway, but it isn't as it
>   should be.

This happens here also but it seems to leave the buff files in the
directory of the program that started previous to rc5v2p5h.  I get
them in the Norton Anti-Virus directory all the time.

The problem with this is that when I install rc5v2p5h I run it in an
RC5 directory where it gets 20 blocks (set in .ini file) and puts it
in the buff-in file then when the system restarts it gets another 20
blocks and puts them in a new buff-in file, so I will have to go
around to the 60+ machines I have it installed on and collect all
these buff-in files and process them on another machine to check all
the blocks back in.  I won't do this until the new 2.003? client
fixes this.  If the client doesn't default to the same directory as
the .ini allow a line(s) in the .ini file to tell it where to get/put
them.

I have also seen the same symptoms of Brad Spachman and  yourself
regarding the crashes submitting blocks to the server under the
hidden Win95 P5 version.  Of course the pproxy V2 will help there.

Michael

> Anyone?
>
> Ivo

* Michael J. Rogan,  Network Administrator,   905-624-3020 *
* Mark IV Industries, F-P Electronics & I.V.H.S. Divisions *
* mrogan at fpelectronics.com                 mrogan at ivhs.com *