[rc5] Dangers of overclocking

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Jul 17 11:17:20 EDT 1997

This can be a danger if you start using bus speeds of 75 and 83 Mhz.
Most hardware can deal with it, some cannot.  For PCI cards it can
depend on whether your mb uses a synchronous or asynchronous mode for
the PCI bus.  IOW - if the PCI bus runs at 1/2 the clock speed, or
always at 33 MHz.  Also, running at these clock speeds you should try
and use SDRAM, but Intel's best P5 chipset, the 430HX, doesn't support
SDRAM.  VIA's chipsets do.  Anyway, I'm starting to babble, so for more
info, see:

http://sysdoc.pair.com

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:49:00 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

>As I understand it, you increase the bus speed.  If you have, say, a 50MHz
>bus and a 150MHz clock-tripled processor, you might increase the processor
>speed to 200MHz by increasing the bus speed to 67MHz.
>
>As I said, the whole system (meaning: everything that takes its timing from
>the system bus clock).
Colin L. Hildinger