[rc5] Monitoring clients

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Thu Jul 17 15:53:49 EDT 1997

>>> A little too crude for my tastes.  Better to have the script immediately
>>> restart the client if it dies.. rather than wasting valuable cycles with a
>>> cron job... :)
>>
>>#!/bin/sh
>>while true; do rc5v2; done
>
>That's nice and all, but I was originally more concerned with restarting
>client when someone decideds to reboot the machines. (No, I'm not root on
>all of them)

If you are not root, then you need to set up a user cron job. I have set up
one (I am not online right now so I don't have access to it) that does
something like this:

#!/bin/sh
# This is runrc5
cd /home/bill/rc5
killall -HUP rc5v2 2> /dev/null
./rc5v2 &

The above script will kill all running versions (that you have rights to!),
and restart it.

Then add a cron job running once an hour to call the file. If you are not
allowed to set up personal crontabs (with 'crontab -e' if you are not
already familiar with it), then you may be out of luck.

0 */1 * * *	/home/bill/rc5/runrc5

Some versions of cron don't like the above format, in which case you may
need to do something like:

0 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 * * * /home/bill/rc5/runrc5

... it's ugly, and it only will restart it once every other hour.

--
Bill Plein
bill at diablo.net