[rc5] Re: Monitoring many.

Francois Gouget fgouget at club-internet.fr
Thu Jul 17 23:51:10 EDT 1997

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Kovacs Alexandra Emese wrote:
[...]
> > 	I have just put the log analysis scripts that I use, online. They
> > only use awk so they should work on most Unices. Note that I don't mean
> > they're adapted to your case. They are at this address:
> > 	http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/distrib/rc5/index_uk.shtml
[...]
> What version of awk is required to run view_log_bov ?
> I have tried on a Digital Unix box and on a Linux (gawk 3.0pl0), but the
> script crashes in both cases with parse error at line 76.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

	Nothing, it's just the script that is slightly wrong. I developped
it on SunOS and awk that comes with does not require that I put
parenthesis around sprintf's parameters. It seems that other awks require
the parenthesis and that is what caused the error. So just change the
line:
	completed=sprintf "%s/%02s/%02s %2s:%02s:%02s",d[3],d[1],d[2], \
h[1]+gmt2local,h[2],h[3];
	completed=sprintf("%s/%02s/%02s %2s:%02s:%02s",d[3],d[1],d[2], \
h[1]+gmt2local,h[2],h[3]);

	Or reload the script from my Web site as I made some other
(minor) changes:

# 970717 - v1.0.1
# - Some awks require parameters of sprintf to be enclosed in
#   parenthesis which was not the case at "line 76".
# - Added some width specs so that things will always line up.
# - Added -h option which prints the usage.
# 970716 - v1.0.0
# - Initial release

--
Francois Gouget