[rc5] Re: Mac support problems

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Fri Jul 18 00:43:24 EDT 1997

>[Craig Zody's rant about MacOS support being noticeably lacking]
>
>The main reason you are not seeing these problems solved on this list
>is because we make every effort to pull these issues AWAY from the list.
>Mailing lists are not and have never been appropriate support mechanisms.

But... for people like me, it's the *only* support mechanism - I've had
trouble with the Mac v2 client not reporting blocks on my 68K Mac, and I
have had no support at all from anywhere *except* this list - a non Mac
user is being very helpful with trying to sort the problem out.

>Of the many subscribers to this list, only a very SMALL segment has any
>interest in problems with the MacOS clients that seems to mostly affect 68K
>machines.  The rest of the readers are either a) not MacOS users, or b)
>MacOS users who are not experiencing problems.
>
>As always, if anyone is having any problems of any kind, the appropriate
>avenue for support is to mail rc5help at slacker.com where they will receive a
>prompt and helpful response from the appropriate person.

Oh yes?  Pull the other one - it's got bells on.  I've tried that, and it
doesn't work.

[snip]

>If you are dissatisfied, perhaps you'd like to help field questions as well.

Personally, I'd be happy to field questions if I had the slightest idea
what the Mac v2 client did in detail - but I don't, so I can't.  I did
offer to help write documentation, but that offer was ignored.

>Just because we are doing a good job at keeping this list on target, don't
>make the rash judgement that we're not doing anything else.
>
>Again -- any mailing list is wholly inappropriate as a support mechanism,
>including this one.

But...  when there is no support available anywhere else, what is one to do?

>The lack of support issues on this mailing list just
>means that we recognize this and are handling support issues elsewhere.

You have failed to handle *my* requests for support - most of my email
requests for help have been ignored, and I have had no useful help at all.

Rowland.