[rc5] Monitoring clients

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Thu Jul 17 20:26:32 EDT 1997

>heres what i use for a check to restart the client
>if [ "`ps -cuxw | grep -c -h -s rc5-client`" = "0" ]; then
>        ~caolan/bin/rc5-client -n 20 -a skynet.csn.ul.ie -p 8000 linu
>x at linuxnet.org &
>fi
>slap in a crontab that runs each hour and ta-da.

So what about the case (one that I've never seen, by the way) where a
client is hung (like it is stuck attempting to write to a locked file, or
something).

That is why I kill it. No "if, and or but" about it, I will start a healthy
process.

I've seen a hung process on an NT version, when I was trying to do a
network log file, and the network wasn't available. Other than that, it is
unlikely to hang. But just in case....

Also, on an SMP system, you can start multiple copies with my method. In
your case, you'd have to rename each version of the client in order to
check each seperately. With killall, you kill every process and restart the
number you want to run.

Easy. K.I.S.S.

--
Bill Plein