[rc5] More senseless banter: how to choose a shell script

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Jul 17 20:17:20 EDT 1997

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Bill Plein wrote:

> >Well, the above script isn't hard to write, so why not use it?  Both
> >scripts take about the same amount of processor power; killall, in fact,
> >makes the same calls to find out what to kill.  And it does take time for
> >the client to shut down and restart, so... why not squeeze out that extra
> >bit of keycrunching time?

> Because if you are not a good shell scripter, it takes longer to write it
> than is necessary.

> But if you get your rocks off writing shell script, go right ahead. And
> make sure that you debug it so that you don't accidently kill anything else
> (grin).

> Me, I take the easy way out. I lose 1-2 seconds of computation time every
> hour. Let's call it 45 seconds a day. Yippee, you win!

It seems a bit silly to drag this thread out any longer, but--

I didn't say anything about having to write the script.  It was, in fact,
provided for you.  It was you that objected.  For myself and others
(including the original script poster, one might presume), it's not a
difficult script to write.  I say my script (well, his script, but I was
close to posting it myself:) is as good as yours, and maybe an edge
better--so where's the problem, friend?

                               -Steve Langasek
-doink-