[rc5] More senseless banter: how to choose a shell script

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Thu Jul 17 21:31:34 EDT 1997

>I didn't say anything about having to write the script.  It was, in fact,
>provided for you.  It was you that objected.  For myself and others
>(including the original script poster, one might presume), it's not a
>difficult script to write.  I say my script (well, his script, but I was
>close to posting it myself:) is as good as yours, and maybe an edge
>better--so where's the problem, friend?

Oh, it is better, for you. Mine is better for me, because I don't have to
worry about a hung process. I never check my machines because I know, even
if a process were to get hung up (and still appear in the ps list), it will
get killed and restarted. This is a benefit in my mind, worth a few seconds
of computation.

Like I said, your's will get 45 seconds of computation time a day more than
mine. Yes sir. No problem. You win. Now what are we going to do about the
other .9995% of the day? (grin).

--
Bill Plein
bill at diablo.net