[rc5] Proxy problems

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Fri Jul 18 19:08:21 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, James Knowles wrote:

> I've got a couple machines behind a really brutal firewall. None of them
> are powerhouses, but every bit helps, eh? I'm having problems
> getting through the firewall. About the only port that I can
> run straight through (via proxy) is HTTP ports 80 and 8080,
> telnet (port 23) and ftp. Everything else is locked up tight --
> even JavaScript is stripped out of HTML pages that come back.
> A very brutal firewall.

Well this one is simple. I've got the same situation (brutal firewall
which even strips java applet of out html). But the solution:
Get your config to work with port 23 (telnet). That's all!

In the configmenu: Option 6: Network comm mode [default:1]
Set it to mode 2) I can communicate freely on telnet ports

So don't mess with uuencoding or local HTTP-proxy's. To difficult..

Ivo