General Support issues (was: Re: [rc5] Re: Mac support problems)

David Hubbard dhubbard at peds-cme.med.usf.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:11:18 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Stephen Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Skip Huffman wrote:
>
> > > If we
> > >could get the executive summary stats updated hourly and the other stats
> > >daily that would be just dandy with me.
> > I would reverse these two.  "Executive Summary" is usually synonomous
> > with "fluff".
>
> But 'executive summary' is really the only thing in the stats that appeals
> to people who aren't already involved with the project (unless they see
> one of their favorite groups in the top 100).  'Sides, trying to update
> the rest of the stats every hour would... just be scary. :)

Hey Steve,
	I don't think that is necessarily true.  When I started up, the
thing that appealed to me was the top 100 stats.  I downloaded the
client, saw how fast it went on my home machine, and said "Hmm.. if
I put this on a whole bunch of my users' machines at work, I could
probably get in the top 100."  and 122,000 blocks later I'm up
at #18. :-)

Now every hour might be much, but I wouldn't mind every few hours, its
nice to have updated data on hand to see how you're doing compared
to everyone else.  I also think updated top 100 stats are a VERY strong
motivational force for getting more blocks done by the people already
involved.  If I see that I'm only a few thousand blocks away from the
next ranking, I go out of my way a little bit to make sure none of
my clients have crashed somewhere, etc.

See ya later,

Dave.
dhubbard at eng.usf.edu