[rc5] RC5 for Mac--which settings?

Seth sjohnson at smart.net
Fri Jul 18 14:57:48 EDT 1997

Stephen Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Seth wrote:
>
> > I think you are making this a lot more difficult than it should be.
> If
> > you are using a current issue of MacOS (<7.1) with Open Transport,
> the
> > above-described setting should work for you.
>
> The version of the operating system and PPP software has no bearing on
>
> these settings.  A firewall is a firewall, and he doesn't have a
> firewall,
> so--he doesn't use the other settings.

Right.

The reason why I prefaced my note with that disclaimer about Open
Transport and the MacOS version was becase the automatic
connect/disconnect and FreeePPP would not be supported on older versions
of MacOS running classic networking (MacTCP rather than OT). If someone
is using classic networking, there might be difficulties with having the
client autonomously connect and disconnect from the internet.

I apologize for any confusion.

Seth