[rc5] Proxy problems

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Fri Jul 18 23:57:18 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, James Knowles wrote:

> Anyhow, I was wondering... I do have two machines (HPs) outside of
> the firewall running 24h. They've been working just fine.
>
> With roughly 6% of the keyspace checked, would it make sense
> to have these machines running behind the firewall using
> random keys blocks, and then could I move them to the HPs
> and have the HPs ship them out when they finish their next
> key blocks?

Hmm, I wouldn't do that. Random block only works one time. When the
client has a network error, it generates a random block, finishes it,
and then stops/hangs completely (as I've heard, I've never generated
a random block!).
Better is: Let the HP get 50 blocks, _move_ the buff-in.rc5 file to a
machine behind a firewall, let the HP get again 50 blocks, move this
buff-in.rc5 file to another machine behind a firewall, etc.
Later on, you ftp the buff-out's back to the HP, and do a flush.

Even more better is: Get the firewall to work.
(hmm, tried every single combination from the expert menu??)

Ivo