[rc5] Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second. :-((

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Jul 19 00:37:50 EDT 1997

On Jul 16, Francois Gouget wrote:

> > > 	Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second.
> > >
> > > into it's logfile until the disk is full :-((
>
> 	I had the same/similar problem and I have found the solution. On
> my hosts the client crunches the first block but fails to write it in the
> buff-out.rc5 file. The reason for this failure was that the file was 0
> bytes in length which probably prevented the client from locking some
> portion of it. Your case may be similar, 0 bytes length or a partially
> truncated file, so best/simplest solution may be to delete the
> buff-out.rc5 file altogether.
>
> 	Why did I have a 0 bytes buff-out.rc5 ? Well, the buff-out.rc5
> file is on a Unix filesystem exported via Samba. Some buffers are shared
> between Unix hosts and PCs and I have access right problems plus user id
> problems (not all the Unix hosts have NIS). If the PC creates the file it

ok, I just checked and indeed, for those clients running mad with "Buffer is locked"
the file buff-out.rc5 was of size 0.

but:  for me,  no 2 clients share any files or even a directory.
so I really wonder how locking/caching/buffering can a problem...

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\