[rc5] Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second. :-((

Francois Gouget fgouget at club-internet.fr
Sat Jul 19 05:48:20 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Harald Koenig wrote:

[...] > ok, I just checked and indeed, for those clients running mad with
> "Buffer is locked"  the file buff-out.rc5 was of size 0.
> but:  for me, no 2 clients share any files or even a directory.
> so I really wonder how locking/caching/buffering can a problem...

	The client always locks the file before reading/writing to it
because it has no way to determine beforehand if another process is going
to access it. Now it probably locks a range of bytes into that file: 8
bytes for the header and then 124 bytes per block. So maybe if it tries to
read the block 10 it will lock the range 1124-1248 but since the file is 0
bytes this fails and the client believes it's because the file is already
locked.
	I think that's where the flaw is.

--
Francois Gouget