[rc5] Buffer is locked 3 - waiting 1 second. :-((

Francois Gouget fgouget at club-internet.fr
Sat Jul 19 05:43:18 EDT 1997

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Stephen Langasek wrote:

[...]
> What version of samba is being used, and what kind of control do you
> have over the unix machines on the network?  With a current version of
> samba and sufficient access privileges, it's not difficult to configure to
> guarantee that proper permissions and ownership are maintained upon file
> creation.
>
> But I suppose, if file ownership is even an issue, it's unlikely you have
> the system access necessary to reconfigure samba :(

	Actually I could change the Samba configuration but I don't feel
like it. I use a preexisting (to RC5) share which is configured "guest
only" and I don't want to add another one with a different configuration
and have people come and ask "What is this new share ?". The last
annoyance is that I usually access the files via NFS and it is configured
so that I cannot do a chown, I must first rlogin on the station on which
they are stored (grrrr...).
	I use Samba 1.9.16pl9 and they say locking is not done very well.
It would be better to use 1.9.17 but it's still considered alpha and again
I don't want to disrupt things.
	Anyway I decided not to share buffers between Windows and Unix
hosts. Given this restriction the file rights problems are bearable
since I can still read, copy, move and delete the buff-out files. All that
I can't do is modify them which isn't really necessary.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at club-internet.fr                http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/