[rc5] seeking the keys

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sun Jul 20 02:29:54 EDT 1997

----------
> From: Irwan Hadi <phoenix at cutey.com>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] seeking the keys
> Date: Saturday, July 19, 1997 9:28 PM
>
> At 21:42 19/07/97 +0400, you wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >> OTOH, Cyrix 6x86 PR166 at 133Mhz:
> >>
> >>   os2   258Kkeys/s
> >How did you do that? My 6x86 PR166 only does ~ 215 kkeys/sec. !?
> >
> Overclocking, maybe ? or maybe he use better motherboard that U

If I understand correctly, the 6x86 has many internal features (such as
branch prediction) that aren't enabled by all BIOSes - the person with a
newer BIOS may have these features enabled, and see a speed increase over
the person with an older BIOS which doesn't enable these features.  I
believe that there are programs to enable these features in autoexec.bat;
check at sysopt or tom's hardware guide.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com