[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #54

Robert D. Mosher dmosher at cyburban.com
Sun Jul 20 16:40:11 EDT 1997

Peter Hanson wrote:

> >I got a problem,
> >My free PPP hangs if I let the application to open the connection.
> >This means that every time my client want to send back checked blocks it
> >hangs. (or I need to be on a open telephone-line all the time)
> >
> >Does anyone have a simular problem,
> >
> >Mats
> >
> Yes, same problem on OT/PPP. Looks like we are just going to have to stay
> connected to the net until a new rev of the client is ready :-)
>
> --Peter
> ----

I had this very same problem.  For partial relief, I set FreePPP to
"allow applications to open....", set "disconnect if idle 1 minute...."

So far this arrangement has worked on both my PB5300c and PowerWave 120
(604 PPC) with the occasional hang.  The problem seems to be that the
application leaves a static IP address in TCP/IP where there should be
<will be supplied by PPP server>   (or words to that effect).  The next
time FreePPP attempts to dial out, there is no one there to Okay the
signon.  Perhaps the next client will offer better manners when it comes
to disconnecting and cleaning up.

Hope this helps.               Dale Mosher