[rc5] seeking the keys

root marcus at dfwmm.net
Sun Jul 20 23:30:44 EDT 1997

Brian J. Burke wrote:

> Austin T. wrote:
> > Looking at an online shopping page, I have a question.  What is the
> > difference between an IBM 6x86 200+ (L), and a Cyrix PR200-MX (M2) 6x86 (L)
> > ?  Besides of course the prices of $91 and $245?  I have a Pentium 133
> > right now, and higher power for half the cost of what I bought looks pretty
> > good...
> > TIA
> >

> The most notable difference is that the PR200-MX supports MMX extensions
> while the 6x86L doesn't.  They are both great chips.  Check out Tom's
> Hardware Guide (http://sysdoc.pair.com/) he has some great info on the
> 6x86 series of CPUs.

Indeed they are the best bang for the buck. Some other differences...
The IBM and Cyrix models are identical except in the labelling. That
is, an IBM 6x86L and Cyrix 6x86L are one and the same. Cyrix does
not have a foundry and IBM builds all of their chips for them. The
differences between the -MX and non MX chips are a bit more extensive
than just the implementation of MMX instructions. The -MX chips have
considerably larger caches and this makes a considerable difference
in performance along with the other architectural enhancements.
Consider that none of the "Cyrix" chips actually run at the "rated"
speed. The PR200+ which mostly outperforms the Pentium that really
runs at 200Mhz, runs itself at a mere 150MHz internally.