[rc5] win32 proxy and Linux client problems

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Wed Jul 23 20:17:53 EDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Curtis Brown wrote:

> I need help getting the Bovine rc5-client to work on my Linuxbox.

> I'n new to Linux, so I can't yet get my PPP dialup working. Instead, I've
> got two TCP statcks on my Win32box so that one can open the PPP dialup and
> the other can manage connectivity with my LAN (just a Linuxbox and a
> Win32box). I've setup the rc5-proxy-server on my Win32box. My Linux box can
> ping "bonkers" the Win32box. I've pointed the Bovine rc5-client to the
> proxy "bonkers".  However, when I launch the Linux client, it failes to
> open a network connection with a server, and it just generates random keyes.

Well, first of all, this is a configuration that's just asking for
trouble.  I recommend that you do take the time to learn about linux ppp
and ip masquerading.  Although more user-friendly, I have yet to see any
microsoft product which is even remotely as network savvy as Linux.  Far
better to have two computers freely talking on the network than just the
one, yes? :)

In the meantime, let's see what we can do to get the existing config
working..

First, are you trying to use a v2 client with a v1 personal proxy?  They
are not compatible; the only clients that can be used at present with a
Bovine personal proxy are the v1 clients.  If you've grabbed the v2
client, and want to stick with that one, then you'll need some way to get
the client talking through the windows socks firewall.

> If anyone can help me get my Linux Bovine rc5-client connected to the
> internet, I'd be very grateful. For now, I can only effectivly use the
> client on my Win32box. I just don't understand why I can ping bonkers, but
> it wont get the key-blocks from the proxy server. Is there something I have
> to change in the Windows95 Registry to allow it to listen to ports as high
> as 2056?
A ping is a very limited indicator of network integrity; it shows only
that your packets are getting to the destination, not that anything there
is listening for them.  To make sure bonkers is listening correctly, try
telnetting to the port in question.

                                -Steve Langasek
-doink-